Well we are looking to have an early spring this year. It sure has been nice sitting outside with the neighbors, getting my boat ready and even washing my truck. We even harvest our first semi of sod on Friday. I know last year I was not doing this to much later.
When the phone starts to ring and customers start coming into the Shop, it’s time to look at timing of CRABGRASS.
If you have been in the Michiana area for a while you know we have had an early season like this not too long ago. But it is usually hard to remember how your yard looked by the end of the year.
The last early spring we had some home lawns had breakthrough of crabgrass. We call it the summer flush. This could be the year to apply a CRABGRASS PRE-EMERGENCE (aka a “Weed and Feed”) two times.
But remember not every yard is the same and neither is the weather from year to year.
Looking at the long-term Growing Degree Days (GDD), I would say that the next 3 weeks would be a great time to apply Crabgrass pre-emergence.
After your first application is done, perhaps you’ll find that your yard is just not thick enough. A second crabgrass pre-emergent application 60 days later can be beneficial. I do believe the last time I recommended this to all was in March 2013.
Some key points to remember going into this season:
- It rained a lot last year in the spring. This year could be different.
- Pre-emergent herbicides must be watered in to be effective.
- Always follow the label on fertilizer, and don’t forget that the labels can change from time to time.
- Ensure even distribution of product especially where you are most likely to see crabgrass.
- Thin turf is often a problem in compacted area such as just off a driveway or sidewalk, in non-irrigated areas, and with low-cut turf
- Crabgrass can start to germinate when the average daily soil reaches 57° to 64° F. A Crabgrass Pre-Emergent is most effective when you apply it BEFORE the weed starts to germinate. We are at 49° F as of 3-9-2016 at the farm.
Come on out and visit us soon! Our current hours are Monday – Friday, 8AM to 4PM Eastern time.
And – as always – we’re here for questions – 574-232-6811.
Lastly, as a BONUS, you can read some articles from our archives that address CRABGRASS by CLICKING HERE.
Until Next Time,
Jeremy and the Red Hen Team