Here’s a quick quiz to see if what you know about grass seeding is fact-based or maybe more based on old-wives-tales or just plain old bad habits. Simply Answer YES or NO …
Here we go:
- The more seed I put down, the better I will be.
- The best time to apply seed is whenever you have some on hand.
- The more expensive bags of seed are better.
- I only need to spread the seed around by hand or with a broadcast spreader and I will have grass in a week.
- You don’t need to use any fertilizer when you’re seeding.
HINT: If you have answered YES to any of these 5 questions, you might want to give us a call to find out why the answers are actually all NO. And, of course, you could always consult Purdue Extension to learn more.
P.S. Did you know that TYPICALLY in the Michiana region, August 15 – September 15 is the #1 best time to do a seeding? BUT, every year can be a little bit different and this year, with the heat and droughty conditions, we’re thinking it will be more like September 1 – October 1. (Source: Purdue Extension among others)
LEARN MORE: CLICK HERE for Other Articles that Red Hen has written about grass seeding.