Was it worth it?
In one word …
Lisa and I attended the 4th annual iLandscape show in Schaumburg last week. If you are in the landscape business I would suggest you keep this on your radar for next year. It is a great show for estimators, supervisors, managers and owners. With it being located in our region I don’t know how you can pass this up.
If you have gone to Indiana Green convention in Indianapolis, it has a different format. Indy seems to me to be more education driven. Schaumburg seemed to offer bigger picture ideas along the line of — What does landscaping look like from 30,000 feet? Just a few themes that were explored by the excellent speakers at iLandscape:
- How are questions from potential customers being asked and answered?
- How do you move landscaping stone?
- Is there a better way so you can do it without hurting your back?
- Can you get your work done in 4 days instead of 5?
- What is your most import asset? (It’s your employees by the way)
According to their Facebook post, iLandscape was named one of the 50 fastest growing tradeshows in the country according to Tradeshow Executive Magazine, ranked #21 by net square feet and #22 by number of exhibitors.
Sign up now so you can get the info for next year … Here’s the LINK – http://www.ilandscapeshow.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.contact/index.htm
Here’s a link that introduces all of the speakers at iLandscape 2017: http://www.ilandscapeshow.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/32/index.htm
A few more links related to the speakers from some of the sessions Lisa and I attended:
- Bill Gardocki, Interstate Landscape / Dirt Ninja on YouTube
- Switching to 4-day work weeks http://www.hardscapemagazine.com/switching-to-4-day-work-weeks.htm
- The drone – the next frontier for marketing your work http://www.hardscapemagazine.com/the-drone-is-the-next-frontier-for-marketing-your-work.htm
- 7 hardscape efficiencies http://www.hardscapemagazine.com/7-hardscape-efficiencies.htm
- Dirt Ninja YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_zqvopfyU_GlSSvJxd76A
- Marty Grunder, Grunder Landscaping / Marty Grunder! Inc.
- Website: https://martygrunder.com/
- Marty Grunder’s Book: 9 Super Simple Steps to Entrepreneurial Success https://www.amazon.com/Super-Simple-Steps-Entrepreneurial-Success/dp/1558706585
- Merit Gest, Merit-Based Development, Inc.
- Merit Gest’s Book: Myth Shift: Challenging The Truths That Sabotage Success https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Shift-Challenging-Sabotage-Success/dp/0997646802/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486398550&sr=1-1
AND LASTLY, looking ahead to the future …
Jeremy’s 6 Tips for a Better Convention Show Experience:
- Check out the speakers ahead of time, and spend some time Googling them to find articles and videos that will help you decide which sessions to attend. Make sure your employees do the same.
- Book early. The convention hotel will book out earlier than you might think.
- Reflect on the 3 largest vendor driven purchases you make? See who their competition is, and whether they will be setting up booths at the show.
- Download the apps for Uber and/or Lyft. We found out that for iLandscape, if you don’t stay at the convention hotel, especially during the winter it’s likely too far to walk to dinner or get back to the hotel if you did not pay attention to number 2.
- Take notes while you are there, and share them with your team.
- Give me a call and let me know you’re attending. If we’re also planning on being there, perhaps you’d like to meet up for dinner and do some networking — one of my favorite things about attending these shows.
Recharging your batteries during these winter months can go far in making the coming Year YOUR BEST SEASON YET!
If you want more in-depth info, you know where to find us … just give Red Hen Turf Farm a call at 574-232-6811.
Until next time! … Jeremy and the Red Hen Crew